Working from home is sometimes just a little complicated. It is also hard to explain to people who have never thought about Not working for someone else.
When you have a ‘normal’ job you are told where to be, when to be there, what to do, and when to go home. You are given a title, a job description, and a level of understanding of what is expected of you. You get to show up, do your thing, and go home. Working for yourself is nothing like that.
- If you decide to sleep for the day, you can. Although you will pay for that.
- If you decide to just sleep in, you can. Although you may need to work into the evening when everyone else is doing something else.
- If you decide to go to the beach instead of working, you can. Although when everyone else is at the beach, you may be in front of your computer.
- If you decide to not submit your invoices this week, you can. Although you won't get paid.
Working on your own health is very similar to working on your own business. You have the ultimate control over what you eat and what you do in your day. Although it will come at a price. This is one of those ‘grass is always greener’ things.
- Some people can eat just about anything and they are never overweight.
- Some people never exercise and yet they wear the size you are trying desperately to get into.
- Some people think about sugar or carbs, and they gain a little weight and some people start a walking routine that resembles a stroll in the park and they start to slim down.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is nothing you or I can do about that.
There is always a price to pay for your actions or non-actions. Just as you try hard to be your own boss because the freedom seems so appealing, and it is, there is still work to be done. Also, if you want to live a healthier lifestyle that seems so effortless, it really is not.
The comparison between working from home and working on a healthy lifestyle is really not that different. The truth for both things is that it is not hard, but it is work.
- First things first, you are the only you out there, so stop comparing yourself to others.
I have a terrible habit of looking at the other girls at the gym and grumbling to myself and whining to myself ‘ why can’t I look like that”. Then I just stop remember; I am old enough to be their mother, I have had three big babies, I had over 20 years of bad eating habits to correct, and I have already come a long way.
- Second, you never know what other people are actually dealing with. You have no idea what kind of health issues they have just like they don’t know your health background.
- Third, you don’t know where other people are on their journey. They may be actually looking at you and seeing an inspiration and you will never know that.
- Fourth, everyone has had a starting point, a middle place, a setback, a plateau, and a do-over, but you just don’t know where they are.
Working toward your goal is all that is important. If your focus is your diet, other people won’t see that until you are eating with them. Just like other people don’t see the hours you will put into your business while they are working at their own job. Putting time in the gym, trails, pool, yoga class, or wherever you sweat, is what works for you and helps you stay moving toward your goal. Keep in mind that we are talking about your goals, not theirs.
As the old saying goes: anything worth having is worth working for, so put in the work, put in the effort, put in the time, put in the discipline, put in whatever it takes because in the end the work will pay off and it will all be worth it.
It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things. – Theodore Roosevelt