If you were to Google “ why am I not losing weight?” you go to a whole collection of websites that would potentially send you to another site and then to a place where they try to sell you a supplement or the “wonder-cure” for weight loss. Sorry, for that. You may have googled that question and it brought you here. Cool! So, let’s get straight to the point.
You are not losing weight for some really basic reasons. The causes may be different but the reasons are usually only a couple of options. And the answer is not what you want to hear.
The real answer is CALORIES IN MUST BE LESS THAN CALORIES OUT!
Yup, it’s just that ugly. I have been told that so many times, it doesn’t help but that is the truth. I too have plateaued many times in my weight loss journey. I too have wanted to throw in the towel and ‘belly up to the trough.' But, even when I stray, I get back at it because, in the long run, I still don’t want to weigh as much as I do.
Here are some hidden reasons that you may be stalled. It may be one, or it may be more than one. Try to deal with whichever ones are talking to you. You will know it deep down which ones are yours look at.
1. You're Too Focused on “Dieting”
- This is a mindset thing, lifestyle vs diet.
2. Your Expectations Are Unrealistic
- Losing 1-2 lbs a week is realistic. More than that, it becomes harder to keep it off once you reach your goal.
3. You've Been Starving Yourself For Too Long
- Your metabolism needs to catch up with a healthy eating pattern instead of starvation mode.
4. You're Not Eating Mindfully
- Focus on what you are eating instead of eating in front of the TV, at your desk, or on the run. Take the time to pay attention to how you feel as you eat, try to notice when you actually feel satisfied instead of stuffed.
5. You're Drinking Too Much Alcohol
- These truly are hidden calories that need to be monitored.
6. You're Not Drinking Water
- Drink your water. This one is key. Most people just don’t drink enough.
7. You're Eating Too Often
- It’s ok to get a little hungry between meals. Not starving, just a little hungry. If you are always eating how is your body going to use up the fat it is storing.
8. You're Not Cutting Back on Carbohydrates
- Keep your carbs complex, natural ones rather than processed.
9. You're Not Sleeping Well
- Do all you can to get enough sleep, your body heals while you sleep.
10. You're Still Drinking Sugar
- Coffee with sugars, syrups, juice, all are hidden sugars that add up. Look at the sugars in your drinks, it’s surprising.
11. You're Not Doing Cardio
- Even if you hate it, cardio burns more calories than sitting. Just get that heart rate up.
12. You're Binge Eating (Even on Healthy Food)
- Reward meals are just meals, not whole days. Watch your portions on non-reward meals, even healthy foods will be too many calories if you eat too much.
13. You're Not Lifting Weights
- Use your large muscle groups by lifting weights or using resistance bands or even your own body weight. It keeps your metabolism up longer than just cardio.
14. You're Eating Too Many Calories
- Ugly as it is, count your calories, and watch your portions. Use an app if it helps, my fitness pal is easy and free. Track your calories in and out.
15. You're Not Eating Enough Protein
- This is really common but easy to fix. There are so many sources both animal and not, there is no reason not to get enough.
16. Maybe You Are Losing Without Realizing it
- People plateau as their muscles build. Muscles weigh more than fat. They take up less space and work harder. Women won’t bulk up, we simply don’t have the testosterone to do that. You will start to lose again, just stick to it.
After all of that, keep in mind that we are all different and we actually lose weight at different paces. Make sure you check with your doctor if you are doing everything right, just to make sure there isn’t a medical reason. And be aware that hormones are amazing little things that play havoc with our bodies, too.
You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.- Yogi Berra